Saturday, August 28, 2010

Pony Pony Pony!!

OK well, we all know we have enough horses here at the Morrissey Compound, but recently my children had the opportunity to keep a friends' two ponies here and rode one named Hocus Pocus each day. Both kids, especially Ethan, were thrilled and started a campaign to get a pony of their own. I told them maybe sometime, but that it would take a lot of time and looking to find the right pony. See, all ponies are not created equal. Some are absolute gems and some are holy terrors, sending kids fleeing to their bicycles. So I was determined not to squander my chance to have horse-loving kids with a bad experience for them.
Well long story short, it so happened that a friend from Pony Club was selling their daughter's pony she had outgrown. Already we know the owners and the pony which is a huge bonus because one can traipse all over the map looking at "bombproof, beginner dream ponies" who turn out to be rotten half-broke nags.
Stacey suggested that we come down and she give the kids each a short lesson on the pony, Justin Time. We did, and it was easy to see he was a gem. Before we left Ethan tugged my sleeve and whispered "Mom, so what do we think of this pony?". I said that we like him very well but he is a major purchase and we need to talk to Dad about it. Ethan said "Mom, Dad's no horse person". True son, but still a big purchase.
I scrupled for a couple days before telling Bill this pony is just the one and we won't easily find another like him. This morning I met the Bates' at a Pony club meeting where Deanna tearfully bade Justin goodbye. It brought back memories of selling my first pony who took such care of me.
We got him home and Ethan, Alaina plus my friend Sara's kids Eliza and Jay brushed, petted and rode him. After Eliza and Jay left, my two were eager for special time with Justin. They rode bareback, single and double, backwards and front, slid off his bottom "Indian Style", hugged him, controlled him themselves, and Ethan even drug a muck bucket over, plopped it next to Justin and climbed on by himself, none too gracefully. Justin not only dealt with it all but ate it up. He hugs the kids back, carries his head at their level when they lead him, and expertly adjusts his ride to each kid or situation.
Poor Cody was looking worried as he trailed after Ethan and Justin. I think he knows he's gonna have to share Ethan time now.
Ethan as always was full of quoteables. Here are a few:
"Paint horses are like watching clouds; you can find all sorts of cool pictures hidden in their fur"(we found a ghost, dragon, hidden Mickey and Bill even found Count Dooku).
"I know Justin is the perfect size for me because when I lean forward and hug him my hands just reach around his neck"
"Mom, do you think by tomorrow I can get Justin out by myself, get on him and surprise you by riding him over to the house?" (Not quite yet, son)
"Look, Justin hugs us back; he must love us already" (he wraps his neck around the kids as they stand with him)
And, humorously, "Lainey, smell his fur right here; it smells like s'mores"

For the horse-savvy: Justin is a 9 year old, 13.3 hand registered Quarter Pony. His parents oddly enough are a large mini/small shetland mare and a paint horse stallion. Poor mama!

Yeah!!!!!!

No comments: