Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Contact Stress

Andrew went yesterday for an eye exam. After I believe a number of years of not quite seeing the board clearly, he confessed that things are a bit blurry far away. Sure enough, he is near-sighted. He wants the new "leave 'em in for a week" contacts. We sat down for the dreaded first time sticking something in your eyes experience. His lovely, long lashes along with those pesky reflexes foiled him and after an hour we left so he could practice touching his eyeball at home.

This reminded Bill of his first experience. We were in college and he went to Shop-Ko. His exam was at 6:00. He then proceeded to try, and try, and try to get the contacts in. Soon the employees told him it was closing time and he had to go home. Memories!

Think of Andrew Thursday after school once again trying to pass the put 'em in and take 'em out test at the eye doctor.

2 comments:

Anna said...

Good luck Andrew... it is stressful! Fred has the kind you wear for 30 days - lucky him!

Fred Seckman said...

I had the hardest time ever with contacts. I could never get them in or out. I tried at 16 and could never get it.

Then at 17 years old I tried again. The Dr. finally let me take a trial pair home to try at home. I spent a whole afternoon trying until my eyes were so red and irritated that I had given up.

Then lo and behold Nate Morrissey shows up at my house and shows me his contact lens technique and BOOM I was able to do it on the first try. To this day I still use the same method.

Come to think of it, I should thank him for that tmorrow night.