Saturday, September 6, 2008

I'd Write It In Purple...

Ethan was telling me about various of his classmates in an effort to stall bedtime last night. Most were run of the mill comments like "he likes dinosaurs", "he's kind of a bully", "she wants to play with the computer every day". But his comment about Julisa tickled me. Her name is like starting to say Julie then switching to Lisa, which is pretty much what my family has done all my life. He said "if I wrote her name I would write it in purple". I asked why and he said "I don't know, it's just a good color for her". All right, Cassanova.
This weekend Jordan has a friend over named Haley. She lives just a few miles away but hadn't been over yet. Later Bill and Andrew will go to the Mizzou game. Missouri has made parking for tailgates nearly impossible this year, so not sure where they'll end up. Tomorrow evening we're having a few friends over to cook out. It has been a gorgeous weekend, sunny but mild, a great follow-up to 3 1/2 inches of rain between Tuesday and Thursday.
Monday Andrew has his first meeting of Academy of Rock. Hoping he'll enjoy it. He has started looking for a part-time job for fun money. Thursday he texted me for some information. His next message was: this applying for jobs stuff is hard. He was just filling out an app online at the time :-)
Thursday night I took Jordan to Ragtag cinemacafe for the first time. It's this offbeat theatre that has two screens (until a year ago it was one screen in a tiny storefront), a bakery and cafe. It shows independent films, documentaries, foreign films, stuff that is great but doesn't make the big theatre houses. You sit in a smallish theatre in comfy couches, old armchairs etc. There's a thriller coming up called Transsiberian with Woody Harrelson and Ben Kingsley that I want to take both Andrew and Jordan to.
Also Monday Jordan starts taking her riding lessons then instead of Wednesdays. Partially since I start teaching the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University course at church on Wednesday. And next weekend Fred and Anna are visiting!!! Can't wait.
In other news, guinea pig is great. She will sit on Ethan's carpet quietly while they pet and feed her, sit in laps, whatever. She's very sweet. My book club started back up Friday and after the group threw out dozens of titles, we picked two; The Whistling Season which is Columbia's One Read selection for this year (last year was Water for Elephants). The other pick was Anna Karenina. This is a long, long, Tolstoy book but a great story. I read it as a sophomore or so in high school and am excited to re-read it. Bill and his partners think they may have the narc nabber figured out. Now they just have to prove it. Meanwhile a new and improved security setup is in place. Yeah!!!!

No comments: