Friday, October 17, 2008

And Don't Forget It!

Alaina is a rather confident and outgoing little gal in general. Between being the youngest, mimicking Jordan and her big girl friends, and a predisposition to being social, she holds her own in about any situation. She also gets frustrated when the rest of us don't seem to realize just how big and capable she is.
Lately, she cracks us up when, anytime she meets opposition, she walks up and says "you know I'm three years old, right?", or "I'm three years old, OK?". This is generally accompanied by one hand on a hip, tilted head and a facial expression that suggests she is trying to be patient as she points out this obvious fact that should clear up any misunderstanding we might have about her abilities. Three years old is apparently a magic threshold, the key to big girl world. Usually when she introduces herself nowadays she says "I'm Lainey Kathryn Morrissey and I'm three years old", holding up three fingers with a little smug smile and fluttering eyelids.
It really is the cutest thing, and while I'm sure my hard-headed little girl and my hard-headed self will have our arguments over the years, I love to watch her confident personality unfold. Now does it convince me that she should get to skip her nap or jump on the couch after all? Try again, sister! Cuz' I'm thirty-six years old and I said so, OK?

No comments: