Thursday, August 21, 2008

Ethan's First Day

This morning was the first day of school here at Columbia Public. We woke up to rain that had fallen steadily most of the night. Andy's school starts earliest, plus he had some schedule issues to straighten out, so he was out the door by 7:05. Jordan rode in with Bill at 7:30, since her bus would come at 6:19 and we just won't do that to her!
Then Bill brought Ethan's favorite cinnamon rolls home and we ate before driving to his school. Besides the rain, which made first-day photos a little hard to get, drop-off was great. Ethan found his spot and settled right in to color. Bill and I's hovering was clearly for our own benefit. The rest of the day I fidgeted and cleaned. Lainey and I read books, fed horses, and played. Finally it was time to pick up.
Here are some quotes from Ethan:
"I have some bullies in my class here too, so I had to deal with them"
"I didn't have to wrestle them or anything though"
"I made friends with a boy named Jordan and some other boy. They're skinny like me"
"I have the coolest school in the world!"

In the interest of fairness, here are a few recent quotes from Alaina:
When walking to the horse barn "Mommy, my boots are tired"
When digging through her brother's things in celebration of his absence "I'm not Alaina, I'm a scientist and a pet shop guy" (the I'm not Alaina cop-out is coming up a lot lately)
When riding home from Jordan's riding lesson after a long day "Jordan, look at my face, do I look happy or do I look mad?" "I'm werry, werry angee"
After reading Five Little Monkeys "Those monkeys made a sad choice"

No comments: