Monday, August 25, 2008

Monday Update

This weekend we went to cookouts Friday and Sunday, and Saturday saw the animated Star Wars movie and a small hot air balloon invitational here in town. Also on Sunday I helped hold previews for the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University class at our church. Several of us are going to facilitate the 13 week course this fall. I'm excited to do it and would like to offer the teen version in the spring.
The balloons are always fun. This time there was a huge Pepsi can balloon that was out of service so the owners blew it up with a fan and it lay on its side so people could go inside it. The mass ascension was cancelled partway in due to some weather blowing in, but soon it was dark enough for the illumination. It's cool to see all the colorful balloons glowing. There were a few other things for the little kids including a pony ride hosted by the people who sold us Spirit.


Oh, here's a puzzler for the Tecumseh crowd; a few weekends ago there was a Back to School Bash at the church. I helped with food and a lady there and I got to talking. Turns out she graduated from Tecumseh in 1975, her name is Mary and maiden name escapes me although I was sure I wouldn't forget such a cool last name. It was like two words together and maybe starts with 'S'?? She knew Jim and his family, actually grew up across the street from the Seckman house. She also lifeguarded at the pool when Betty managed it. Anyway, her family has since moved away and she hasn't been back for some time but she was tickled to talk about her old home town. First person with the full name gets a high five when I'm back next :-)

This morning I dropped Ethan off at the curb outside school instead of walking him up. He was all cool about it until he got out and I shut the van door. He spun around and gave me a look through the glass like he just figured out he was on his own. I gave him my bravest grin and said have a great day, and he marched in. Most of his commentary on school so far regards lunch, snack, recess and his friends Jordan and Rush. Today is P.E. for the first time so maybe that will rate a remark. Oh, and Friday Ethan got his first fund-raiser packet already. It's a nice product, but every school in town sells them, including Jordans, and the coupons are limited to the Columbia area. I can say I'm not big on selling stuff.
Alaina had her move-up at preschool today. She is now in the Knights and Maidens room (each class has a medeival type name to go with the castle theme. Last year she was a Squire and Ethan a Sentry). A number of her best buddies moved up also. She was excited to check out the new digs.

No comments: