Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Get on the Bus, Gus

Oh my goodness, it all happened so fast...yesterday morning I saw the bus Ethan would ride pulling into the school as I left and thought, it looks half-empty, orderly and is driven by a nice-looking older guy, but isn't it nice I can drop Ethan off?
Last night when I picked Ethan up, he said "I want to ride the bus sometimes". I said he would have to choose every morning or none, not every once in a while. He said he would think about that. This morning he announced he would ride the bus each morning. I said not today since we hadn't given the driver warning to stop at our house. Then as we pulled out the driveway, here came the bus. I said Ethan, that's your bus. Do you want to try riding? He said yes and jumped out of his seat.
Dale, the nice driver, was very reassuring. Ethan is the last pickup which means a whopping five minute ride to school. I have witnessed the orderly manner in which the kids unload twenty feet from the school door and a teacher shuttles them straight in where two other teachers stand along the hall to be sure the kids get straight to where their classmates wait in the gym for the bell.
Ethan plopped into a seat two rows back, looked around with big eyes clutching his backpack to his chest, then looked out the window ready for the adventure of riding the big yellow bus to school.
Breathe, Lisa, Breathe.

1 comment:

Anna said...

Oh my... can it be? That almost made me cry! I can't believe he's so grown up already.